It's happening again, kicked out to black screen

bugs and support requests for gratuitous space battles. welcome to main engineering...
DG Phil 211
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Re: It's happening again, kicked out to black screen

Postby DG Phil 211 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:41 am

Drat. Happened again. A nail-biter, 2 Peleliu Class cruisers against 2 Outcast cruisers, one damaged. 54% to 58%, closing in and firing . . . .

Black screen.

This is irritating. You guys are great for helping out, but sheesh, this is a week-old, $3K custom computer from one of the best makers in the business. Here is the Win 7.1 error code:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GSB.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 51aa2958
Fault Module Name: GSB.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 51aa2958
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 00160ce7
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:12 am

Quick question, have you try the suggestions I made earlier and run the game in a windowed screen with a lower resolution and see if you can get the error to occur again ?

DG Phil 211 wrote:Drat. Happened again. A nail-biter, 2 Peleliu Class cruisers against 2 Outcast cruisers, one damaged. 54% to 58%, closing in and firing . . . .

Could you please navigate to \My Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles\ships and post the the ship designs files of those 2 ships ?

I am willing to bet that one of them is using a beam weapon and when we look at the debug file one of the recent errors will be that infernal Intersect code went wrong:..\src\SIM_BeamWeaponModule.cpp 533

DG Phil 211 wrote:This is irritating. You guys are great for helping out, but sheesh, this is a week-old, $3K custom computer from one of the best makers in the business.

I have been on these forums for awhile now, and one think I know is these things take time to resolve. Usually what resolves the error rather quickly is where forum users can recreate the error you are seeing, unfortunately you seem to be the first to experience this.

Since my computer is a 10 year old Pentium III with an AGP graphics card which it runs the game perfectly fine, I can not recreate the issue you are experiencing.

So, if I could ask for you to:
- Check the latest Debug file and see if there are more Intersect issues.
- Ensure that your graphics card drivers are up to date

More questions:
Can you get the game to crash with other races or does it seem to only occur with the outcasts ?

If you like, I can offer a remote chat session to see if we can resolve this issue in a more timely manner.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
DG Phil 211
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby DG Phil 211 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time. Positech is fortunate to have you on the boards. It's late here and I've got to get some sleep. I'll go over it tomorrow and see what I learn. I did run it on a lower resolution, although not windowed, and it did the same thing. Crashes at random in any kind of battle vs. any race. I've not tried the campaign mode. I'll get on the rest of your suggestions tommorow. Thanks again.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Fri May 02, 2014 4:31 pm

ship designs that cant be found shouldn't cause a crash. That intersect code thing is also harmless. This sounds more like a video card driver issue with the games engine than anything else. It's not a beta driver is it?

also: it does sound like something is kicking out the game, and then the game cant recover the desktop. if you have anything else running that has on-screen popup dialogs (many P2P clients and messenger programs do this) then that might be the cause.
In windowed mode, its not an issue.
DG Phil 211
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby DG Phil 211 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:39 am

Sorry, I got busy. Problem is still happening. I tried running it in windows but there's no prefs.ini file in the game directory. Also there's no directory called
\My Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles\ships
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:12 pm

prefs.ini and the ships directory do exist you might have to look around for them.
Go to where you found the debug files and go from there.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
DG Phil 211
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby DG Phil 211 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:13 am

Can't remember where those debug files were. Opened every directory and subdirectory (20+), no prefs.ini file. I can see this is a bit of a dead end for you, but I appreciate your help.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:16 am

You should be able to find prefs.INI if you use a file search.
Try starting in the user directory
DG Phil 211
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby DG Phil 211 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:46 am

OK, found it, thanks. Ran it in windowed mode. Same problem.

Return to “Support”