COMPILATION OF PROBLEMS AND THEIR FIXES. READ THIS FIRST!!!

bugs and support requests for gratuitous space battles. welcome to main engineering...
martijn4655
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Re: COMPILATION OF PROBLEMS AND THEIR FIXES. READ THIS FIRST

Postby martijn4655 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 pm

hello,

i have the demo of GSB and i have a small laptop and the maxumum screen is: 640x480 and i cant run GSB
and in a error log it says that my screen is too small...
also ive tried to change the resolution in the prefs.config file in my documents but i couldnt see the whole thing.... is there any way to play it??

greetz martijn
Crissa
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Crissa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:31 am

The smallest screen that GSB supports is 768x1024. Says so in the FAQ, this thread, and the readme file in the program (although, strangely, not in the demo archive...)

-Crissa
oldsalt
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby oldsalt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 am

GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem.
Problem: Game crashes upon startup, or at main screen for various reasons.
Solution: (1) Ensure that you have a suitable resolution. Must be at least 768 high.
(2) If you have played the demo, try deleting C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles.

Ok, I got this problem, but if I run GSB from steam that will run, but if I run GSC from the short cut, it get the above error. I never had the demo, and I am running higher then 768. I do get some error about a race, I click ok, and then it just crashes, and Win7 tells me it has stopped working.

Now if you got GSB on Steam, where should I install CSC? Maybe that is screwing it up.

That was it, solved the problem, installed it in the wrong folder. Never mind.
DoktorZoom
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby DoktorZoom » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions; may I suggest a small edit to the sticky that others may find helpful?

For the "GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem" error, maybe rephrase the second line of the solution to read "2) If you have played the demo, or if you installed GSB from Steam, try deleting C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles." (or something along those lines). Deleting that folder resolved my problem, but I had initially skipped past that solution since I hadn't played the demo. Thanks!
Lazers
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Lazers » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:10 pm

There is a major problem with the steam version of the game.

To run the game, AT ALL, you have to delete your 'My Games' folder. Once you've run the game once, and it recreates that folder, you can no longer play without deleting that folder and starting all over again. I want a fix to this -now-
Kemp
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Kemp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Lazers wrote:There is a major problem with the steam version of the game.

To run the game, AT ALL, you have to delete your 'My Games' folder. Once you've run the game once, and it recreates that folder, you can no longer play without deleting that folder and starting all over again. I want a fix to this -now-

Unless something has changed in the last week (or the problem is specifically after installing GC, which seems unlikely), I can say that I have no problems running via Steam under Windows or Ubuntu. I think there would be many many more reports of this issue if it was happening to everyone who plays via Steam.

Also, speaking as a software dev myself, saying "I want a fix to this -now-" is not likely to get you one any quicker. I think we can assume that Cliff isn't sitting on his ass laughing at our problems.

Just as a general note, not specific to GSB (and I'm happy for Cliff to contradict me here), the best bug reports state:

1) What happens (not what you think is happening behind the scenes, just simply what you see happening) including precise wording of any error dialogs.
2) What should have happened (if it's not blatantly obvious).
3) Precise steps to reproduce (e.g. install game via steam, install expansion packs x and y, run via steam client, exit, run via steam client again) which have been confirmed on a *clean* install by the user.
4) Any error logs written by the app (though where these are very large or where there are many different ones it's often a good idea to wait for the dev to ask for specific ones).
GSBEdit - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6121
Restricted Vanilla Modules - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6230 (obsolete)
ludsoe
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby ludsoe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 am

Has anybody tried using the time scale and having their computer crash to a blue screen?
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:25 pm

i'm playing GSB on a mac and for some reason the "right-click" functions on the pre-battle screen (like mass deploy and change quantity functions) don't work at random intervals. Sometimes the keyboard doesn't function at all. Although it takes a simple restart of the program to fix the problems (most times), I just want to know if this is my mac's problem or is it a mac version problem?
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
gfarrell80
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby gfarrell80 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Bloodaugust wrote:GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem.
Problem: Game crashes upon startup, or at main screen for various reasons.
Solution: (1) Ensure that you have a suitable resolution. Must be at least 768 high.
(2) If you have played the demo, try deleting C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles.

I recently got a fancy new monitor and got this crash at startup. Deleting the folder C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles solved the problem, however, it also deleted all my unlocked modules. That sucks. I saved a copy of the folder to my desktop before deleting, is there any way I can get my modules back without having to play through the campaign again?

Never played the demo. I see I still have the expansion pack races I bought though.
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:28 pm

gfarrell80 wrote:I saved a copy of the folder to my desktop before deleting, is there any way I can get my modules back without having to play through the campaign again?

Looks like if you copy the unl.dat file from your old folder into the new folder GSB should have made, it should bring back your old unlocked modules list and honor balance.
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
gfarrell80
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby gfarrell80 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 pm

AcePalarum wrote:if you copy the unl.dat file from your old folder into the new folder GSB should have made, it should bring back your old unlocked modules list and honor balance.

Much obliged, that did the trick. I have the modules back, but the single-player missions are still fresh as if I never played. That's fine though, I'll have some fun with them again.
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 am

gfarrell80 wrote:Much obliged, that did the trick. I have the modules back, but the single-player missions are still fresh as if I never played. That's fine though, I'll have some fun with them again.

For future reference, if you want your old records on the missions back, just copy the sc.dat file the same way. Have fun!
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
DrSquidopolis
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby DrSquidopolis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:40 am

For everyone having issues with steam rejecting humble bundle multiplayer keys for GSB, run the game outside of steam then put in the activation key and everything should work fine.

Steam by default installs the game to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Gratuitous Space Battles
Run the game launcher from this folder.
Select online and enter your multiplayer key.
Enter desired username.
The game is now activated!
Enjoy.

Return to “Support”