Diary of a Space Tyrant

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.
GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Diary of a Space Tyrant

Postby GATC » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Xedilco are not at the last place!
It's a miracle!

Redd13 wrote:Pirate flak seems.......hopeless. When I checked on them in battle, they would generally score 1% hits at best

WARNING!!!!!
It the bullet miss, it's NEVER the case of the AOE!!!!!!

That's an AMAZING work you have done here, and I'm happy that "my" Xedilco have participated and that you have chose them to be on the list, it's a big compliment.
Maybe, this will lead to some "patch" among the Mods (No I'm not looking a Praetorian Ind. ;D )
Xedilco are coming for you! http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5506
Redd13
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Redd13 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 pm

GATC wrote:Xedilco are not at the last place!
It's a miracle!

Redd13 wrote:Pirate flak seems.......hopeless. When I checked on them in battle, they would generally score 1% hits at best

WARNING!!!!!
It the bullet miss, it's NEVER the case of the AOE!!!!!!

That's an AMAZING work you have done here, and I'm happy that "my" Xedilco have participated and that you have chose them to be on the list, it's a big compliment.
Maybe, this will lead to some "patch" among the Mods (No I'm not looking a Praetorian Ind. ;D )

I don't think the Pirate flak has the area effect rule. You could see it shooting, but no damage scores were coming up on it's target.
Redd13
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Redd13 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Should anyone be interested, I've posted the top three fleets online so you can have a look. And probably rip them apart....
Jonz0rz
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Jonz0rz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 am

I didn't try the Unity or Praetorian ones (since i don't have them), but the federation one was at least hard enough that I resorted to a boring spam to beat it. The money was the biggest thing that threw me off. Several of my more "fun" but slightly less effective strategies burnt out at the end because you had enough for an extra line of missile cruisers that killed everything.

Maybe i'll see about installing the other mods to try out the rest of them.
GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby GATC » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am

Redd13 wrote:I don't think the Pirate flak has the area effect rule. You could see it shooting, but no damage scores were coming up on it's target.

!!!
I've just seen that the flak is the pirate one!

I hit only if you are a x1 speed or less.
At x4, the missile (cause it's a missile weapon) do little jump, avoiding enemies...

A second thing.
Damage the armour count as "potential missed damaged" cause the game only count the armour resistance diminution and not the armour point diminution...
Xedilco are coming for you! http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5506
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:51 pm

i sorta beat the p.ind. fleet with my own p.ind. fleet, but it was made of only fighters... yup you might want to look at that rail cannon thing
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
Redd13
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Redd13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Jonz0rz wrote:I didn't try the Unity or Praetorian ones (since i don't have them), but the federation one was at least hard enough that I resorted to a boring spam to beat it. The money was the biggest thing that threw me off. Several of my more "fun" but slightly less effective strategies burnt out at the end because you had enough for an extra line of missile cruisers that killed everything.

Maybe i'll see about installing the other mods to try out the rest of them.

Yep, that fleet is a bit 'missile happy', which means any opponant with revenge scramblers has them for breakfast. I'm currently tinkering with them, changing some missile ships for plasma so they're a bit less of a one trick pony.

GATC wrote:
Redd13 wrote:I don't think the Pirate flak has the area effect rule. You could see it shooting, but no damage scores were coming up on it's target.

!!!
I've just seen that the flak is the pirate one!

I hit only if you are a x1 speed or less.
At x4, the missile (cause it's a missile weapon) do little jump, avoiding enemies...

A second thing.
Damage the armour count as "potential missed damaged" cause the game only count the armour resistance diminution and not the armour point diminution...

Now that behavior is.....odd. I tend to play at speed 2 which is fast enough to get through the battles nicely, but not so fast you can't see what's going on.

dafrandle wrote:i sorta beat the p.ind. fleet with my own p.ind. fleet, but it was made of only fighters... yup you might want to look at that rail cannon thing

Yeah, none of my fleets handle spam very well, mainly because it's something I try to avoid using myself if possible. As for the rail cannon, I've just quickly booted the game up to see what you're talking about and can you believe I hadn't even see that gun? I did say the fighters (in which I include the corvettes) needed an upgrade, so I think that will definitely be making an appearance on at least one hull. I still have fighter hulls unused as well, so I might change a few roles around for them while I'm at it.

I've also seen that my Uni:T fleet was beaten 3 times out of 3, so at the very least, it proves that it's anything but invincible.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Redd13 wrote:Fighting the battles is easy; recording them well is hard work

All the same, you still did a really good job at that. :) That's the glue which binds your thread together and makes it so interesting & informative, Redd13. Your structured series of race-by-race battles & your detailed, well-written accounts of what items the ships were equipped with, and how well each race fought with such items, is a fairly tough act to follow. Thank you for making such a major - and successful - effort on behalf of the GSB community!
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:37 pm

something that despite my best attempt i can't match
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
Redd13
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Redd13 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 pm

I have continued this series, completely for my own benefit, on a larger scale on one of the later Uni:T missions, giving more credits (250,000 I believe) and more pilots for the battles. A few things have been revealed by this, most notably that more does not necessarily mean better. Some of these battles have been rather dull affairs, largely due to the hideously slow nature of a large proportion of my fleets. As these self challenges have been fought for fun, this does mean that most of my fleets fail at this scale of battle in their prime role: entertain me. The most entertaining battles have been those fought by the more mobile fleets. As such, pretty much every fleet is due a recall for almost complete overhauls and refits. These battles are also completely impossible to report on in the manner I have done previously, there's far too much happening to be able to capture it all. However, I thought I'd introduce the current table, along with comments about the fleets involved (some completely new) as we've reached quite an interesting and potentially dramatic phase with most of the weaker races from the last challenge out of the way, and into the stronger and newer members.

Firstly, I'll explain the numbers in brackets. The first is win percentage, the most vital statistic. Second is average surviving strength of the fleet, minus the average surviving strength of the enemies fleet. Last is the number of battles fought, showing those who have and who haven't finished their series of challenges.

1: Uni:T (100%, 74.6, 14)
Uni:T continued their complete dominance of the weaker races. The lack of speed is really emphasised by this fleets ease in getting to this stage undefeated. Tougher challenges lie ahead.
2: Praetorian Industries (100%, 49.1, 14)
Though Praetorian Industries have reached this point without loss, they have actually struggled in a number of encounters including one 10-9 victory!?! The current champions managed to pull through however, but holding on to the title looks like it's going to be tough.
3: Collective (92.9%, 55.1, 14)
A fleet who were looking like they could potentially beat anybody, they suffered a surprise defeat at the hands of the Federation which has knocked them back a bit. Almost matching Uni:T until that point, they now look like having to defeat both Uni:T and Praetorian Industries to have a real shot at the title at their first attempt.
4: Galactic Concordium (92.9%, 22.1, 14)
Another first time fleet and one who's doing very well. They're just so boring about it though. More than one battle has come down to their long range support carriers slowly pulling back and bombarding the enemy while their fighters chew them apart. Their battle with Uni:T could be a title decider,their only defeat so far being at the hands of the Tribe.
5: Federation (73.9%, 22.9, 23)
The highest placed fleet to finish all their challenges so far, and another strong performance. Made more remarkable by the fact they struggled in their first encounters with the Alliance and Order. Handed the Collective their first ever defeat and have set a tough target for anyone else wanting to break into the top five.
6: Tau'ri (71.4%, 14.6, 14)
Yet to finish their challenges and proving a tough fleet to beat so far Though I think they'll struggle to break into the top five given the opponents they've yet to fight, they might have a say in who wins the title.
7: Union (69.6%, 19.6, 23)
Another strong performer, only just being edged out by the Federation.
8: Galactic Empire (64.3%, 19.5, 14)
Another new race, and one who again have performed well. Getting into the top five might be beyond them, but they could also have some say in where the title goes. The performance of their heavily armed shuttles has been at times, a revelation.
9: Outcasts (64.3%, 13.6, 14)
The newest of the official races, and having a ball so far. With more speed than most of my other fleets, their battles have also been amongst the most entertaining to watch. This fleet will probably only have a few tweaks in the refits to come.
10: Pirates (60.9%, 21.3, 23)
A vast improvement on their prior dreadful showing, these have leapt up the table thanks to a lesser reliance on the fast attack formations, who have also benefited from better orders.
11: Tribe (60.9%, 4.3, 23)
Another very strong performance from the Tribe, though so far not good enough for a top ten finish.
12: Outer Rim Pirates (57.1%, 1.5, 14)
Another new race, another strong performer. A fast, mobile (and therefore entertaining to watch) fleet, they've shown strongly in the majority of their battles, even those they've lost.
13: Empire (47.8%, -10.5, 23)
About as average as you can get, which is just about the expected level for the Empire these days.
14: Parasites (43.5%, -3.5, 23)
A fleet which is now looking very jaded, and one I'd already decided to go back to the drawing board with before this series. Not helped by the change to the way flak now works, they actually performed better than expected.
15: Scavengers (43.5%, -9.7, 23)
After their previous showing, great things were expected, but they failed to deliver. The size of the battles meant their opponents were able to field more beams, making their tanks less effective than before. Struggled heavily.
16: Legios (39.1%, -10, 23)
Performed about the same as before, because they largely are the same.
17: Rebels (39.1%, -14.3, 23)
Another disappointment for the Rebels, their wall formation really let them down. They were consistently outflanked and ripped apart. As well as the refit, they also need a tactic change.
18: Order (34.8%, -11.5, 23)
An overhaul prior to these challenges has improved them a lot, but they're still miles away from being title challengers. They did however put in some strong performances and were rarely thrashed, in fact only three fleets finished with higher than 60% strength remaining against them.
19: Republic (28.6%, -19.9, 14)
A new race, but one that's struggling. Too many EMP weapons has hampered their chance, but that's easily rectified in the refit.
20: Nomads (26.1%, -18.3, 23)
I think this fleet has reached the end of it's useful life. The fighter defence, or rather the lack of it, let them down in so many battles it's no longer funny. The refit is well overdue for these.
21: Swarm (26.1%, -22.3, 23)
Oh dear, oh dear. From former title holders a few challenges back, to propping up the table now. A trial 'diamond' formation combined with ships that are just too damn slow proved disastrous for the Swarm.
22: Alliance (21.7%, -21.2, 23)
Despite their continued lowly placing, the Alliance actually did much better this time. Though they didn't win many, they competed in the vast majority of their battles and were rarely thrashed. They even beat the Galactic Empire who are currently in the top ten!
23: Xedilco (8.7%, -41.3, 23)
If the Swarm had a disaster, these had a nightmare. Another 'diamond' formation, but they were just awful on pretty much all counts. Now there's a new, stable update for the mod, the refit will coincide with a download of that.
24: Earth Alliance (0%, -75.1, 14)
There are a number of reasons these are at the bottom. Firstly, the ships I've designed are 'authentic' to the show, which doesn't mean they're the strongest build for GSB. They're also so BIG with the Hyperion twice the size of a typical Rebel cruiser, making them easy targets, and making it hard for them to concentrate firepower which, in a battle this size, is suicidal.

So there we have it. Four races battling for the title, with a number of strong races also in a position to make their mark on the destination of the title. Uni:T and Praetorian Industries are used to being up there but now, they've been joined by two others: the Collective who've stumbled with a defeat by the Federation, and the Galactic Concordium, who could very well bore their way to the top.

Time to find out.....
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 pm

ah so you found a star wars mod download somewhere

and if any of the new races was an inspiration for my pitiful attempt, i see why you didn't include the gundam
Redd13
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Redd13 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

dafrandle wrote:ah so you found a star wars mod download somewhere

and if any of the new races was an inspiration for my pitiful attempt, i see why you didn't include the gundam

Yeah I managed to grab it before Disney took over and everyone panicked about the possibility of them lawyering up.
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 am

Wow, I just can't believe that i didn't noticed this topic before! Damnit!

After reading the whole topic i found myself quite surprised by the more-than-obvious overpower of Praetorian Industries. I mean, i obviously didn't created the PI scenarios "default" ship configs to reach their maximun capability, just to let to players have fun as they try to find it.
However, i didn't expected to see such a fleet configuration like yours, Redd13, wich seems to be more effective than any Praetorian Fleet i've made before... and i'm really thankful for that, because in most of my playtest battles against Union and Uni-T Mods tend to end in a large variety of disasters for PI forces (damn, looks like i suck as commander), and thus, never knew that PI Mod was THAT much overpowered.
Thanks to this topic i might (as fast as i find some free time) be begin able to conduct some extra balancing for the next update.

Keep up this great job Redd13!
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
Redd13
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Redd13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 am

Praetors wrote:Wow, I just can't believe that i didn't noticed this topic before! Damnit!

After reading the whole topic i found myself quite surprised by the more-than-obvious overpower of Praetorian Industries. I mean, i obviously didn't created the PI scenarios "default" ship configs to reach their maximun capability, just to let to players have fun as they try to find it.
However, i didn't expected to see such a fleet configuration like yours, Redd13, wich seems to be more effective than any Praetorian Fleet i've made before... and i'm really thankful for that, because in most of my playtest battles against Union and Uni-T Mods tend to end in a large variety of disasters for PI forces (damn, looks like i suck as commander), and thus, never knew that PI Mod was THAT much overpowered.
Thanks to this topic i might (as fast as i find some free time) be begin able to conduct some extra balancing for the next update.

Keep up this great job Redd13!

To be honest, I'm surprised that people read it at all, and looking at the views, continue to read it now!

As for being overpowered, you have to take into account the fleets it was up against. Whilst my P.I. fleet was able to destroy all my other fleets, that doesn't mean that I (or other people) couldn't build a fleet to defeat it. It could be that this P.I. fleet is perfectly formed to counter all my other fleets but could be fairly easy to counter itself. I have to admit I haven't tried, and I can't recall what it's win/loss ratio was when posted in the challenge list. It certainly wasn't undefeated, and though it might be that it was only beaten by 'spam' lists, it could well be that a more 'rounded' fleet was used to defeat it. That being said, there are a few areas that are a bit much, the artillery dreadnoughts taking out fighters being a very noticeable case.
GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby GATC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 am

As always, I'm waiting for a new run of your Diary with the new version of my mod ^^

By the way, Xedilco (because most of the ship use "Keep moving" order as a way to stay alive) tend to be quite a random fleet.
If you play 3/4 time the same battle with them, you can obtain different outcomes XD

That being said, there are a few areas that are a bit much, the artillery dreadnoughts taking out fighters being a very noticeable case.

That, and the perma EMP effect are for me the biggest OP feature of you mod. (Already been said in the mod tread XD)

Return to “Gratuitous Space Battles”