Galaxy Generator for conquest games

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.
pendra
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Re: Galaxy Generator for conquest games

Postby pendra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:49 am

It happens if the All folder is not in the correct place, under the Campaing\Data\Encounters. I replaced the ZIP because I zipped one extra folder into it and that may cause an error like this.
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 am

Seems pretty good, but:
1. When I generate a map the background is replaced with a white screen. Error in image file locations? The image folder in the right spot. When I hit "New Background" I see a brief flash before it turn to white. And by brief flash I mean the seizure-level type.
2. The generator is just a it bigger than my screen, so the bottom's cut off. Same thing even in fullscreen mode.
3. It's been going unresponsive a lot, can't really say when because it's been doing it for most maps without normal/default layout settings.
If it has any relevance for #3, my processor is a 1 GHz dual-core. (Yes, I know it's slow to be doing this kind of stuff.)
pendra
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby pendra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 am

1: I noticed that as well. It happens when GSB is running. I have to get a better component because the one I use is pretty hacky.
2:1024x768?
3:The calculation is running in the main thread that is the reason the app going unresponsive. However the calculation is pretty fast using the basic settings. On my 5 years old Core2duo I get results under a sec. If you go dvanced and play around with the number of planetsand join weights things can slow down considerably.
SleepingD
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby SleepingD » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks for the customization options, now I not only get random maps but I can also finetune them to whatever I feel like playing at the time. Personally I'd be okay with it even if it took the generator an hour to process the whole thing. This should really be some kind of featured mod on the game frontpage.

Edit: As a bit of a followup to that last sentence, the game's page in Steam library now links to the RPS article on the mod.
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 am

pendra wrote:1: I noticed that as well. It happens when GSB is running. I have to get a better component because the one I use is pretty hacky.
2:1024x768?
3:The calculation is running in the main thread that is the reason the app going unresponsive. However the calculation is pretty fast using the basic settings. On my 5 years old Core2duo I get results under a sec. If you go dvanced and play around with the number of planetsand join weights things can slow down considerably.

2. I'm on 1366x768. (The highest and recommended setting)
3. When I stick with the basics it's fine, but when I try some fancier designs it can take a while to process.

And where does the generated scenario save? The generated ones are interesting, but I've seen a few that I'd like do some work with.
pendra
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby pendra » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 pm

The height is 770 with the top frame. I guess I will decrease the size to 720 to make sure it fits to lower res.
When you hit the Save button it will create the campaign based on the name.
So if you made one called Sagittarius Ring and hit save,the app will make a file sagittariusring.txt under the folder campaign\data\maps. This is the header file. Then make a folder sagittariusring under campaign\data\encounters and fill it with the individual planet files. If you want to edit by hand, you can do it there.
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm

I've saved a few campaigns, all of which show up in GSB's menu and are playable. However, my maps folder displays only the generated maps.
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Ok... so it is in the GSB folder on my hard drive. Sort of. Instead of going straight to Program Files I had to go to Users, then [my name], then the hidden folder AppData, then Local, then Virtualstore, then it's version of Program Files containing a GSB folder with just the campaigns and some fonts.

It's easy enough to manually move, but it's a little confusing to reach the folder. I had to search my entire hard drive just to find the location.
Hmm... so that's where all my Battleships Forever stuff had been hiding...
pendra
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby pendra » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Did you get the game through Steam? That may work differently. I never use it, so I have no idea how this works with Steam.
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm

I had a little bit of fun and manually put every generator planet into the same scenario. 292 planets sounds great, but...
Attachments
screenshot_04-12-2012_17-16-42 small.jpg
screenshot_04-12-2012_17-16-42 small.jpg (195.65 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:14 am

if you fix that so theres not so many paths, can i have it?
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:10 am

dafrandle wrote:if you fix that so theres not so many paths, can i have it?

Trying to recode 292 planets, each with their own .txt? I'm not even really sure which planet is which... If I could even figure it out I might give it a shot.
Tek0516
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Tek0516 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 am

Once you give it some reasonable conditions (specifically, not trying to make a 175 planet string) it actually has worked pretty well and made some nice maps. Still takes a while to process larger ones, but i can get some nice, large maps.
Avalon1894
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Avalon1894 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:47 am

The link is broken. Does anyone know where to get a copy of this? Thanks.
WayOfEnoch
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby WayOfEnoch » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Avalon1894 wrote:The link is broken. Does anyone know where to get a copy of this? Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/93uta ... erator.zip

Return to “Gratuitous Space Battles”