GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.
AlienDjinn
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Re: GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Postby AlienDjinn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 am

My first two starts of Galactic Conquest....

I'm using the Federation Fleet that I got through all the single player scenarios and just got my but handed to me for the last two hours (confused now). I'm a newbie but my first impression was mixed.

Things I love...

-That I can change ship names and
-That my fleet deployments are saved.

Things I don't love

-Not starting with any resources. I think you should start off with enough money for 2 to 3 frigates and a Cruiser. Otherwise it's a grind in the beginning.
-No Save / Restore after battles. Maybe it's cheating but when you lose two hours of resources it's very frustrating.
-Don't understand why I'm so underpowered. Can the systems progressively get more difficult or adapt to my tech level?

Overall I'm very excited about the campaign expansion, I'm just not sure how to stay on the rails. Going to go back and try it on Cadet (as pathetic as that is).

-Alien
Entropy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Entropy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 am

At Cadet level, you start with 16K in cash. At Captain level, 10K. At Admiral level, 5K. Even at the hardest level, that's basically enough for 2 frigates and a cruiser, as long as you don't want heated bucket seats and the underbody coating with that. In addition, fighters are an important part of the mix early in the game.

Having said that, my own experience with the campaign has changed radically sometime in the last couple of updates, in that the game has gotten much harder. Where I used to be able to win most of the time at the Admiral level, now I'm getting crushed like a bug on a windshield.

Maybe I've just had a stroke and don't remember how to play good. Or, something has changed. In any case, don't get discouraged. Your mileage may vary.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 pm

There are currently some extra maps being made for the campaign. when they are done and ready for release, I'm going to consider changing the campaign so the starting values are noticeably higher, so you can start off with bigger initial fleets.
zircher
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby zircher » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:04 am

Not to be a pest, but any progress/ETA on those new campaign maps?
--
TAZ

LOL, just saw your post about testers in a another thread. Good to hear.
Wasabi of IP
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Location: In a classified location in the general vicinity of the United States.

Postby Wasabi of IP » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:50 am

hey cliff, will we be able to mod in new maps of our own and have very good control over starting resources, planet coordinates, spatial anomalies, and wormholes?
That is all.

Apprentice of the Friendly Community Mod Squad
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Yes, this is all very easy to do now.
Wasabi of IP
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Location: In a classified location in the general vicinity of the United States.

Postby Wasabi of IP » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 am

:D Thank you, much appreciated! :D
That is all.

Apprentice of the Friendly Community Mod Squad
Sable Phoenix
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Sable Phoenix » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:00 am

I just recently played a couple games of GSB Galactic Conquest after not having touched the game for a few months. Whereas I remember trying it out the first time and getting absolutely stomped, now it's way tpo easy even on Admiral. The opposition consists entirely of single ships, or at the most two or three frigates, very rarely with fighter support. I'll be marching around with my fleets of twelve ships and every single encounter I get is one or two or three vessels in opposition. What gives?
Lord Herodotus
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Lord Herodotus » Sun May 22, 2011 3:00 pm

The silence on this question is deafening. Too bad.
mattavich
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby mattavich » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 pm

I just registered to tell you that this expansion looks great.

I've been looking for a game which emulates some of the fun I had with Master of Orion 2 all those years ago and it looks like you're developing your GSB project in a great way.

Keep on going and developing this game and you'll have a multi million piece of intellectual property on your hands. Just don't let someone like EA Games come along and try buy you up because they simply destroy games.

Lastly, I own quite a big site about Facebook games. Have you thought of a Facebook Version? GSB RPG version where you build up your fleet and battle others in a similar manner to "back yard monsters" would likely be a winner if you have the development time.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:28 am

facebook games are very interesting, but I just don't have the time. I badly need a holiday as it is!
Vatraxis
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Vatraxis » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:57 am

Galactic conquest is great, especially since i can test out my new mods against player designed fleets, oh how i love seeing my omega class destroyers (B5 mod) anhilate some poor so and so's fleet. :P
"CRY HAVOC.....AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR" Act 3 scene 1 line 273 Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"
Variant Phalanx
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Variant Phalanx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:46 pm

The only problem I have is that enemy fleets seem to non existent.

They just guard one place and maybe attack one place at some point.

That could be fixed.
Ahhh...That wasn't supposed to happen.
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:48 pm

hello Variant may I suggest looking at some of the many topics that have to do with galactic conquest, you may find that the answers to your problems are there
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods

Return to “Gratuitous Space Battles”