GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.
Allanon
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Re: GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Postby Allanon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Are the Hitpoints from fleets used for scaling the AI-Fleets?

Hope not so because i would harm myself designing especially cheap ships!
Ramcat
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Ramcat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Due to my hospital visits, I have been slow to test out 1.50 version of the campaign. I thought since fighter spam was the reason for adding pilots I would test a fighter spam fleet and see how it faired. I quickly realized that I would not be able to run the classic Ikohime Fighter spam fleet, so I switched to my "21 squad" fighter spam. It works perfectly. It is not limited by the new system at all. It actually may be enhanced because now I have unlimited money.

I'm tired and I hurt, so I'm going to run some Veil Nebula while I heal.
WhatIsTheMatrix
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby WhatIsTheMatrix » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:06 pm

I bought the Galactic Conquest for the GSB and installed it to my Steam account no problem on the 12th November.

I'm wondering normally on Steam when an update comes out it downloads and installs automatically.
As I say I bought the GC on the 12th has there been any updates and how do I get them and download them?
lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby lkohime » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:40 am

Ramcat wrote:Due to my hospital visits, I have been slow to test out 1.50 version of the campaign. I thought since fighter spam was the reason for adding pilots I would test a fighter spam fleet and see how it faired. I quickly realized that I would not be able to run the classic Ikohime Fighter spam fleet, so I switched to my "21 squad" fighter spam. It works perfectly. It is not limited by the new system at all. It actually may be enhanced because now I have unlimited money.

I'm tired and I hurt, so I'm going to run some Veil Nebula while I heal.

Ramcat, I have it out and honstly, if you run the 21 squad's for the first 5-10 worlds, then merge them together you get my classic swarm with HUGE results :P

Pilots are an awesome mechanic, but not at all stopping the fighter swarms
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters
Sparechange49
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Sparechange49 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:43 am

It's been nearly a month... any word yet on when Red Marble Games will be porting a Mac version? I've been waiting for this expansion for a long time. It looks fantastic!
Arceius
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Arceius » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 am

For whatever reason your installer did not install my game correctly. I installed it to several places unsuccessfully (including the correct Steam folder) and eventually gave up.... so I just copied all of the files over wholesale from a different place and it worked fine. :P
>_>
Honestly it was probably my comp more than your installer, I have a serious "tech hates me" problem. *sigh* Either way, I have it working now and it looks great! Woo!

Well, it did look great. Now the background for the Campaign has disappeared and I don't know how to get it back! :0

I didn't change any of the files, although the game did crash once. Any Ideas on how to get it back?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi, I think this is the problem:

The patch installer checks if certain files exist. If they do, it writes an uopdated file. if they don't, it doesn't bother. it does this with a vital file called campaign.txt.
That file recently changed, and if your version didn't get updated, the new exe will expect a line that isn't there, so you get a blank background.
Soo...
if you re-run the 1.50 patch, into the correct folder (ensure it doesn't add an extra 'gratuitous space battles' on the end of the path), then it will update /campaign/data/campaign.txt and it should be fine.
Arceius
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Arceius » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 pm

uhhh... right... run the... patch >_>

How do I do that? Is it on the site or do I access it from the game itself or what?

(Edit: I've noticed something else, it might be related to the problem. When I go into the skirmish missions they've all reset. I still have all my unlocked things and whatnot but the skirmish missions have reset and I can re-do them for the same honor I got the first time around.)
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 am

if you have run the patch before it is in /my documents/my games/gratuitous space battles/patches
WhatIsTheMatrix
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby WhatIsTheMatrix » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I've the same problem with a white background for the campaign map which makes the planet names hard to read.

My problem now is I've gone the the Documents folder like you suggest but I have only 1.49 and 1.51....how do I get 1.50 to correct this?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:11 pm

they are cumulative, just run 1.51. make sure you point it at the right place
Arceius
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Arceius » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:03 am

I have no patches. I checked around in some of the other folders in case it was misplaced or something but I was not able to find any.
WhatIsTheMatrix
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby WhatIsTheMatrix » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:25 pm

cliffski wrote:they are cumulative, just run 1.51. make sure you point it at the right place

Sorted thanks cliffski.

Originally that patch had added and extra GSB folder which had been my problem so once I'd put it in the right place all was well.
As I loaded the game patch 1.52 came in and I now have the proper background again for the GC thanks.
Arceius
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Arceius » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:26 am

Victory! I managed to convince Steam to reinstall the update... then 1.52 came out immediately after. v_v

Regardless it's all fixed up now, thanks for the patches help Cliffski. To battle!
Em_Crew
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Em_Crew » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:19 am

I understand the how & why explanation as to why one must be online for this expansion; but I have a "peasant connection" (commonly referred to as dial-up) sooo...

Will I need to be online continually when I play a campaign? Only when I visit a "new" occupied planet (and instigate a battle)? Or only once when I start a new campaign?

I suppose I could only play the game late at night when I'm assured not to get incoming calls (not like I've never done THAT!) but sleep is kind of essential.

Return to “Gratuitous Space Battles”