GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.
Baleur
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Re: GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Postby Baleur » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:06 pm

YES YES YES, this is what i always wanted. My dream game was galciv 2 but with GSB's battles, at least now, i'll get a 2d sword of the stars'ish campaign :)
Finally a "reason" for all these epic battles. Will def buy!
Just a question, is the galaxy randomly generated, and is there support for increasing the planet and/or shiplimit?

I made a crazy scenario in the main game with like 200 v 200 ships, was amazingly fun. I hope there's some support for editing it in a .ini or something!
HYPERPOWER!
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby HYPERPOWER! » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:37 am

I had a look on other threads and don't see a mention of this, so:

Could we please have hotseat?
Allanon
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Allanon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Is there any chance to see how well my own ship/fleet designs fought against other players?
Would love such a statistic!
ZedF
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby ZedF » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Captain Sardonic wrote:Each of the .txt files in the encounters folder also has XY coordinates listed for the planets. Find a way to randomize those and you get random maps. Change the facilities values in the encounter files and generate random planets. At least that's how it appears to me.

I don't have the know-how to write something that would do the randomization, but it is (hypothetically) easy to do.

That's how you randomize the existing map. Random maps would be something else altogether, and probably not simple at all to do given the current campaign as a baseline. If the map were being procedurally generated already, I suspect we'd have seen more than one map to start with.
ZedF
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby ZedF » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:46 pm

HYPERPOWER! wrote:Could we please have hotseat?

Hotseat only makes sense for a multiplayer game... ;)
lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby lkohime » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:36 pm

ZedF wrote:
Captain Sardonic wrote:Each of the .txt files in the encounters folder also has XY coordinates listed for the planets. Find a way to randomize those and you get random maps. Change the facilities values in the encounter files and generate random planets. At least that's how it appears to me.

I don't have the know-how to write something that would do the randomization, but it is (hypothetically) easy to do.

That's how you randomize the existing map. Random maps would be something else altogether, and probably not simple at all to do given the current campaign as a baseline. If the map were being procedurally generated already, I suspect we'd have seen more than one map to start with.

Actually, i believe it would be possible to custom mod your own campaign maps. I'm trying to figure out how to do so at the moment xD
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:59 am

Map modding is possible, the only real awkward thing is [hopcounts], which is the number of jumps you need to go through to get the shortest route between each pairing of encounters, and is used when spreading fear of your ships amongst the AI.
Nebdar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Nebdar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 pm

ok I didn't find anything but is it possible to cancel the move command??....
Ramcat
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Ramcat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm

ZedF wrote:
HYPERPOWER! wrote:Could we please have hotseat?

Hotseat only makes sense for a multiplayer game... ;)

Uh, yeah. This would be a HUGE hit with my family if we could gather at Thanksgiving and Christmas and play campaign games against each other!!! Especially if all the planets were divied up and there was no internet needed - it would be huge!!!
Nebdar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Nebdar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Ramcat wrote:Uh, yeah. This would be a HUGE hit with my family if we could gather at Thanksgiving and Christmas and play campaign games against each other!!! Especially if all the planets were divied up and there was no internet needed - it would be huge!!!

i was thinking of the same thing.......
Summoner
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Summoner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:06 am

Will the beta you're selling work with the impulse version of GSB?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:07 am

It should work fine, it you tell the installer where the main game is installed, and if the main game is version 1.48 or later.
Nebdar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Nebdar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 am

ok I didn't find anything but is it possible to cancel the move command??....

and do you planning to add random events local for player and galaxy wide???
dsharp22
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby dsharp22 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:25 pm

After playing Galactic Conquest glitches aside I love the game.
I have only minor complaints/ wish list about it. I'm only voicing them in hopes they would either improve the game, or add food for thought for the next game Cliffski does.
Once again i want to stress I love the campaign.

1st I wish every planet could build ships to some degree. Especially when the A.I. can hit you from any planet. The few planets that can build ships while they are vitally important, are extremely few and make reinforcing very hard, especially when I tend to suffer from frequent drastic losses because I am no Horatio Nelson it seems. At least give me fighters or frigate production from most planets, cruiser capable planets should be few, but it takes so long to make reinforcements and get them to the front lines.

2nd. The A.I. Can hit you from any planet, whether there is a shipyard or not. EX: I have surrounded a planet with no production facilities and attack, I lose against their two defending cruisers, the next round that planet attacks me with 4 cruisers! I find this frustrating because I feel like the computer is not on equal footing/shipyard handicap with me.

3rd The A.I. is not persistent. The campaign feels more like a random encounter conquest rather then your empire vs every one else's empires. So it feels like I've won a lot of territory but I don't have the satisfaction that comes with ousting the evil; Empire, Rebels, Swarm, Alliance ect. There's no capitol planet to conquer, there's no patch of planets that one race owns that I can tell. I conquer one tribe planet, the next belongs to the nomads. Its all random, I wish the territory battle played out more like risk, rather than randomly controlled planets. EX: One round I'm getting attacked by the order, the next it's the empire attacking from the same planet, and I own all the territory around that planet. How did that Happen?

4th I wish I could edit a specific ship design in the ship builder menu by right clicking on it, and going into the editor for that specific ship, rather than having to go into the editor and sift through all my designs for every race. I also wish that when designing a ship in the campaign, I wish the editor would filter out all the other races I'm not playing as in that particular campaign. (I would be happy with just a race filter in the editor as a standard)

5th I wish there were race banter going on, Like feds taunting/insulting Rebels when one invades the other. I wish the A.I. would taunt you when it's about to invade, or loses a territory to you ect. I feel the Galactic conquest suffers partially that the Races have no real character beyond ship designs, in that it's all anonymous forces swinging at each other. When a battle starts I want the satisfaction that I'm going kick that cocky A.I. SOB in the gonads, or be so steaming mad when I lose that I am already plotting my revenge. I wish the game made me more emotionally involved, and I think it is a result of a lack of characters/personality that I am fighting against. OR... even cooler let the player designed fleets have their own player created taunts that can be read at the outset of each battle.

6th I wish for secondary orders when the formation command breaks. EX; when you cant follow this ship any more MOVE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW!

Once again I love the game, and I love the campaign. I hope my wish list helps with the beta's development, or at least is food for thought. And I can't wait till the Campaign is finished so I play through as every race.
Lastly thank you Cliffski for such a great game, and I hope to see it get even better.
Gaping_MAW
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Gaping_MAW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi there,

liking the campaign game in general. Makes the game 'not-quite' gratuitous space battles' :) . Some feedback and questions mixed together:

1 cancel move option?
2 clearer icons for special/anomaly worlds
3 what does threat level signify?
4 scouting seems like a good thing to do (i currently send one fighter across to see the enemy forces then retreat it), that way I don't risk a fleet till I know what to expect. This seems sensible but kinda cheap :) .. it's too risky sending the mega fleet in there without knowing what you are going to encounter. Is there a way therefore, to prevent the need to do this?
5 enemy attacks don't seem linked to what strength is present at the planet the attack is meant to have come from
6 Do enemy planets upgrade their forces with time?
7 Do I need to play the regular GSB to unlock tech? Perhaps campaign tech should be separate?

Return to “Gratuitous Space Battles”