GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.
lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Postby lkohime » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Miths wrote:Has anyone been able to use the campaign with the Steam version?

I just bought Nomads and Galactic Conquest directly from the site (Steam hasn't even bothered to make Nomads available yet, so I wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing the campaign this side of Spring 2011 :)).
Nomads seems to be working properly after installing it into the steam GSB folder, and installing the campaign gives me a new menu background and a "campaign" button, but when hit it I just get a: "Login failed. Either your PC is not online, your firewall is blocking the game or your serial number is not valid."

My PC is definitely online and my firewall isn't throwing up any notices of unauthorized programs trying to connect to the Internet, and I can use the GSB challenge browser without problems (although strangely it doesn't list any challenges more recent than from May this year, and I get a "removed from server" when I try to download any of them - until now I've only been playing the singleplayer scenarios).
I have also validated the original game with the "CD key" from Steam.

Some help here would be much appreciated.

Yes, i have got this working
The problem got fixed for me by installing it in steamapps/common/gsb
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters
Xaxor
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Xaxor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Looks like I have a reason to temporarily stop playing STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl now. That game is serious business, but GSB is just as serious.

Also, what happens when this is out of beta? The final version will be 'free' for those who tested, I would assume.
ZedF
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby ZedF » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 am

You have to pre-order to test, so you're basically paying the full price early to get beta access. You won't need to pay again once the game goes live as you'll already have it; you'll just get a patch to download.
Miths
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Miths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

lkohime wrote:Yes, i have got this working
The problem got fixed for me by installing it in steamapps/common/gsb

I'm not quite sure what you mean here? On my system the game is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gratuitous space battles - with DLC packs, including the campaign, in sub folders.
Just in case the game should somehow magically be able to find the campaign if I installed it in ..\common\gsb instead, I first uninstalled it and then reinstalled into the folder you suggested, but as expected that simply causes the game to start up without the campaign present (old menu background, no campaign button).

Edit: I just tried uninstalling the entire game from Steam and the reinstalling game plus campaign. The two problems persist - login failed for the campaign, and a challenge list that will only show challenges between the dates Feb 4 and May 17 2010.

I'll send the debug files to you now cliffski.
terrenblade
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby terrenblade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:55 am

Miths: Had the same probelm with my steam challenges list, so what I did was go to my challanges folder* and deleted all the existing files, 'challengelist.txt' and 'challengehistory.txt' then I launched the game from steam, noticed when trying to post a challange that it said "invalid registration code, so I went to 'online' and submited it again, and everything was fine.

tl:dr:
delete challengelist.txt and challengehistory.txt
make shure the regestration code steam gave you is correct
submit the regestration code again.

*windows 7: ([USER]\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles\web\challenges)
Mad? Oh yes, Quite mad.
Miths
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Miths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 am

The mysteries are piling up :).

As I think I mentioned in my first post, I've never played challenges before, only the AI scenarios. I don't have a challenges folder (or the web folder it's supposed to be within), so I just tried creating and issuing a challenge.
Much to my surprise I get an "Error: reg code invalid" error in the submit challenge window.

In the "online" menu in the game I have my registration code entered (and I've tried again a few times just now with a copy/paste) and it says underneath: "Code valid. Thank you", and "User name accepted" for the field below.

I imagine that if my registration code isn't valid - even though the game claims it is - this is the reason why I can't launch the campaign either. Hopefully cliffski can sort this out for me?
Ouroboros
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Ouroboros » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 am

hooray! the campaign is in beta!!!
now I'll hold my breath until it comes to mac
Jormungandr in challenges
Red Cinema
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Red Cinema » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:26 am

Campaign. Is. Awesome.

RC
terrenblade
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby terrenblade » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 pm

confirmed campaign working in steam :)

only problem I had was it put the campaign in 'common\GSB\GSB' instead of 'common\gsb' easy fix.

Patches are another matter. anyone PM me the location of the registry key that drives default patching location so I can correct it? I don't feel like reinstalling.
Mad? Oh yes, Quite mad.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:03 am

the patches give you an option to redirect them when they run.
Thunderbird
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Thunderbird » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:09 pm

im proud to say that i finally got the campaign and tried it out
its pure sexeh :P good work cliff,just... *aehm* a few kinks to iron out ^^
When you reach the end of your journey, the only thing that really matters is the journey itself. -Taoist saying
Sentynel
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Sentynel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Holy crap, I haven't played in ages, but I just got the email about this mode. No way I could turn that down, so looks like it's back to the gratuitous front for me.
Judging by the amount the version number's changed, I've got a lot of relearning to do. But damn, it's good to be back.
TFM
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby TFM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Campaign is FANTASTIC! It is truly great!

A couple of first look comments:
- Starting spot on the map. Will it always be the same or can their be random starts or different starts?
- Random maps would be great (and different sizes)
- Fighters. Still the age old mega annoying issue with fighters being morons when your carrier is out of supplies or destroyed and heading to the edge of the map to be slowly picked off... We really need either a REPAIR order or a tick box on the CAUTIOUS order to ignore it when there are no carriers...

It would be nice be be able to see anomalies from the main map in a more meaningful way as the little icons get lost easily and have it pop up a continue or abort message before it sends only part of your fleet into the next sector.
It would be nice to be able to see the defending army of a sector instead of having to have a retreat mark against you in standings when you send in your single scout to gauge the defences.

Captured ships right now are totally useless. They are always so badly damaged that they are pointless (except fighters) we should be able repair them. At least modules not totally destroyed or something.

-Fighters that come packaged IN carriers. So that we can move them around.

But this latest module, priced WAY to cheap by the way, rocks!

Great Job. I love the graphics too. This is a game that would stand up on the console systems too.

Turn based multi player please! :)
Summoner
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Summoner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Are all modules unlocked in Conquest, or is it still necessary to fight single player battles to earn points to do so?
Captain Sardonic
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Captain Sardonic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:53 pm

TFM wrote:- Starting spot on the map. Will it always be the same or can their be random starts or different starts?

I looked through the GSB\campaign\data\campaign.txt file and found this entry: "Homeworld=4". Cross-referencing that with the data in the GSB\campaign\data\encounters folder shows me that encounter (i.e., planet) #4 is--you guessed it--Sullgobah. Therefore, changing the "Homeworld=" value would likely change your start position.

Each of the .txt files in the encounters folder also has XY coordinates listed for the planets. Find a way to randomize those and you get random maps. Change the facilities values in the encounter files and generate random planets. At least that's how it appears to me.

I don't have the know-how to write something that would do the randomization, but it is (hypothetically) easy to do.

Here's a thought, Cliff: maybe release a patch/update that gives not only the ability to randomize the campaign map and/or planets and/or facilities, but also allows you to save those newly-generated maps. Sure, you'd wind up with a lot of maps with nasty unbalanced random chokepoints, but that might make for some very challenging content. And if we could save and share the maps that were created? So much the better.

Return to “Gratuitous Space Battles”