Latest Patch

Discussion of the life-sim game 'Kudos 2'. What did you achieve in your ten years?
Parsec
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Re: Latest Patch

Postby Parsec » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:10 am

When I install the 1.03 patch there are 2 new csv files in the \data directory - charactertypes.csv and solo_activities.csv
However those same files in \data\simulation (which is where I expect they are supposed to reside) are still the same old ones.

Were they supposed to be replaced or something? What is the story with these two new files?
Whats an Emu supposed to taste like anyway?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:04 am

Damn. that's a bug. they should be in the simulation folder replacing the others. I'll fix the patch.
Cheers
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Ok here is the latest (and last for a while) update:

1.04 New hotkey - 'C' opens the classes window.
New hotkey - 'P' or return answers the phone.
New hotkey - 'Esc' now closes mobile phone inbox.
Attribute windows now close if you click them anywhere, or if you click their details a second time.
Arrow keys now go through pages on the shopping screen.
Fixed bug where you saw empty pages on the shopping screen.
Changed default option for intel video cards to prevent startup crashes on some cards
Made learning to drive quicker.
Enabled vertical synch (had always been off by default)
Made bus travel a bit cheaper and car a bit cheaper, but increased minimum cost for the bus.
Made pets more tolerant of being left alone.
Tweaked cursor so it shows up better.
New graphic for tabloid newspaper, different from the broadsheet one.
Fixed some possible crash bugs.

And the patch for 1.03 is here:

http://www.positech.co.uk/kudos2/patche ... to1.04.exe
sambrookjm
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby sambrookjm » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Is there a debugdata directory or file for Kudos 2? It's crashing on me with this patch anytime I try to go into the social event screen. It may be a mod I added...which is why I'd like to check and see where the debugdata file is.
I think I've had this deja vu before.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 pm

hmmm. The game *should* have a debugdata folder alongside the data folder (same position in hierarchy). If it's not there, just create one and it should get used. Are all social events crashing? and at what point does it go bang?
sambrookjm
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby sambrookjm » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:48 pm

cliffski wrote:hmmm. The game *should* have a debugdata folder alongside the data folder (same position in hierarchy). If it's not there, just create one and it should get used. Are all social events crashing? and at what point does it go bang?

I created one, and it wasn't used. This is using Vista 64-bit. The game crashes as soon as I try to go into the social events listing. Solo events and classes work OK.

EDIT - Just uninstalled and reinstalled the game. It looks like I now need to run this one as administrator as well. Fortunately, I had the same problem with Democracy 2, so this one was far quicker to troubeshoot. Looks like trying to add in a gym workout session as a social activity didn't work too well. :( Still no debugdata in the main game directory, though.
Black Cat
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Black Cat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 am

I hope this is a good place to post this. I didn't feel like starting a whole new topic.

Anyway, I bought this game after playing the demo, and everything is great except for one thing. I couldn't get it to work until I changed my resolution to 1024 x 768. My native resolution for my laptop is 1280 x 800, and it always gave an error when in that resolution. Here is what was in the drawdebug.txt file:

Initialising Direct Draw
Attempting fullscreen mode
Creating Context at 1280 768 32
Forcing Fallback Init
Attempting Fallback Init
SetDisplayMode
DDERR_UNSUPPORTED

In another post you claim it works in 1280 x 800 (you said 1200 x 800, but i think you meant 1280) but it clearly doesn't for me. Honestly, it's annoying to change my resolution all the time. Thank you.
sambrookjm
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby sambrookjm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:50 am

Black Cat wrote:I hope this is a good place to post this. I didn't feel like starting a whole new topic.

Anyway, I bought this game after playing the demo, and everything is great except for one thing. I couldn't get it to work until I changed my resolution to 1024 x 768. My native resolution for my laptop is 1280 x 800, and it always gave an error when in that resolution. Here is what was in the drawdebug.txt file:

Initialising Direct Draw
Attempting fullscreen mode
Creating Context at 1280 768 32
Forcing Fallback Init
Attempting Fallback Init
SetDisplayMode
DDERR_UNSUPPORTED

In another post you claim it works in 1280 x 800 (you said 1200 x 800, but i think you meant 1280) but it clearly doesn't for me. Honestly, it's annoying to change my resolution all the time. Thank you.

In the options screen of the game, there's a box for "Full Screen Mode" Making sure this is turned off may solve your problem. (My laptop is also widescreen. While the game works full screen, I find the stretching highly annoying...so I use Windowed mode.)
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 am

It looks like some laptops (like the ones I tested on) are fine with 1280 768 but some really aren't. The game is a nightmare to rejig for 800 height, but at 1280 768 it looks ok.
With the next patch for the game I will put in some code to check that res is supported before attempting it. I didn't realise some 1280 800 laptops couldn't do it :(
Parsec
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Parsec » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Quick question. The daily job event scripts that reside in \data\simulation\jobevents\. I assume within things like "OnTrigger = ApplyEffect(happiness,-0.14,_HAPPINESS_DEGRADE,waiter bad);" , the 'waiter bad' is basically just for debugging? It has no effect on the game itself and thus could be omitted entirely?

\jobevents\reporter\reporter_good.txt has "OnTrigger = ApplyEffect(happiness,0.1,_HAPPINESS_DEGRADE,programmer good);" and \jobevents\sales\sales_poor.txt has "OnTrigger = ApplyEffect(happiness,-0.1,_HAPPINESS_DEGRADE,poor sales);ApplyEffect(confidence,-0.08,_CONFIDENCE_DEGRADE,poor sales);ApplyEffect(optimism,-0.04,_OPTIMISM_DEGRADE,good sales);" - which both make no sense in the latter debug field, unless they are of no real consequence.

Excuse the dumb questions, but am still considering my web style Kudos2 editor and am currently discovering what various things do.
Whats an Emu supposed to taste like anyway?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:20 pm

That final bit of text is ignored by the game, but it IS stored, and even stored as ir ecall in save games. It's purely for debugging. It means I can load a game in debug build, and see a list of every effect that has been applied to a variable, and what 'tag' it was given, to see where it comes from.
It looks like i forgot to change those tags, which si why they are wrong :(
But its basically a user-editable debug field.
Black Cat
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Black Cat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 pm

sambrookjm wrote:In the options screen of the game, there's a box for "Full Screen Mode" Making sure this is turned off may solve your problem. (My laptop is also widescreen. While the game works full screen, I find the stretching highly annoying...so I use Windowed mode.)

Thanks for the idea, but I tried that. It plays slower in windowed mode, like having the mouse cursor lag behind my movements. You gave me an idea about my video card, I usually play games in their aspect ratio (cause I hate stretching too), but I tried out some other modes just in case. Unfortunately, none of them worked with the game.

cliffski wrote:It looks like some laptops (like the ones I tested on) are fine with 1280 768 but some really aren't. The game is a nightmare to rejig for 800 height, but at 1280 768 it looks ok.
With the next patch for the game I will put in some code to check that res is supported before attempting it. I didn't realise some 1280 800 laptops couldn't do it :(

Well, I didn't expect you'd have a solution right now, but I thought I'd inform you of the problem. I think this is why developers went to consoles, lol. It's too bad, because I like PC games.

Also, I didn't get to say that I really appreciate you making this kind of game. It's like Princess Maker 2, and Cute Knight (Kishi Kawaii). I love life sim games and there's never very many of them. So, thanks!
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Cute Knight is an awesome game, I really loved it :D
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:22 pm

cliffski wrote:Cute Knight is an awesome game, I really loved it :D

Same here, although we are moving a bit off subject. ;)
saraswati
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby saraswati » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:39 am

Hey Cliff

I just had Kudos crash a couple of days after I bought a pet.. I wasn't doing anything exceptional. It was a fairly severe crash though, it locked my system up totally. Is there anything I can do to narrow down what caused it to crash? I think I was just pressing the group activities button at that point.

Saraswati
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/

Return to “Kudos 2”