Economy

Forum for non-game specific political debate of the issues raised in general by the game. Economics, transport policy, the environment, gun crime etc etc. be nice!
AlexandrePinho
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Economy

Postby AlexandrePinho » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I think the only problem with undocumented immigrants is that they are undocumented. If we make it easier to become a legitimate US citizen (instead of having to wait for 10+ years), the economy would grow and many social problems would go away. Let me elaborate:

Firstly, illegal aliens usually work for less than a regular US citizen, because their contracts (many times non-existent) are not regulated by the government. And, at any time, employers can just blackmail illegal aliens into a lower wage due to fear of deportation. On the other hand, if we provide a pathway to citizenship to these immigrants, they can sooner be out of that situation and become a productive member of society.

Secondly, we can grow the economy by making these immigrants lawful citizens of the US. Immigrants will become small business owners and create jobs. I think this is pretty obvious and needs no further explanation. Just like regular people with a standard education and standard income can create jobs, after a couple of years (which may vary depending on government action like education subsidies), immigrants will be able to do the same.

Thirdly, providing a pathway to citizenship would increase tax revenue. Many illegal immigrants already pay taxes. This would not be countered by rising expenditures of welfare programs.

Finally, I want to make the moral argument. Illegal aliens in the US should be able to get the rights of a US citizen because they are already contributing to the greater good, both by providing cheap labor through wage slavery (unfortunately), and by paying taxes. Providing a pathway to citizenship is a win-win situation where everyone will profit.
Make everyone poor. Make the poor like you. Win election.

Return to “Political Debate”