UK introduces 50% tax fate over £150k / year

Forum for non-game specific political debate of the issues raised in general by the game. Economics, transport policy, the environment, gun crime etc etc. be nice!
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: UK introduces 50% tax fate over £150k / year

Postby cliffski » Tue May 05, 2009 7:39 am

Your proffessor sounds like he is pushing a personal agenda, more than teaching. Maybe is isn't familiar with the economies of scale that large nationalised institutions can achieve over private ones? In particular, ask him about the relative proportion of Us and UK healthcare costs that are spent on bureaucracy, rather than medical care.
Styrax
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Styrax » Wed May 06, 2009 1:40 am

cliffski wrote:Your proffessor sounds like he is pushing a personal agenda, more than teaching. Maybe is isn't familiar with the economies of scale that large nationalised institutions can achieve over private ones? In particular, ask him about the relative proportion of Us and UK healthcare costs that are spent on bureaucracy, rather than medical care.

That was several years ago. In the classroom it was strictly economics. You couldn't tell where he stood on the issues. I only learned where he stood on the issues years later after hearing him speak. I'm sure if I did ask him about healthcare, he'd say leave it to private enterprise. I'd have to agree. A guy I know who grew up in the UK and Canada said healthcare in those countries is great until you actually have to use it.
mechasaprophyte
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby mechasaprophyte » Wed May 06, 2009 5:33 am

So, I'm guessing he's not one of the 50 million people in the U.S. with no health insurance at all (either because their employers doesn't provide it, or as a result of underwriting)?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed May 06, 2009 9:34 am

Styrax wrote:. A guy I know who grew up in the UK and Canada said healthcare in those countries is great until you actually have to use it.

I still live in the UK> There can be little doubt that the NHS is far from perfect. However, it's good points are that you know you are always getting the best treatment the NHS can provide, There is not a suggestion that because you are unemployed or on a low wage you are getting drug A where the guy next to you gets drug B.
Thats pretty cool.
I've known various people who have used the NHS to get ongoing medical treatment that would cost an absolute fortune, and of course it didn't cost them anything. Imagine your doctor telling you what treatment you need, and never having to mention the cost at all. That's pretty awesome. the last thing you need when ill is stress over how to pay for it.
I'm a strongly pro-free-market kinda guy, but the NHS just seems to be so more efficient than having private companies suing people over whether or not they are liable, all the time while people lie on a hospital bed wondering if they will OK the treatment.
Imagine all the money spent on US healthcare lawyers going into doctors instead :D
Trebs
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Trebs » Sun May 10, 2009 5:29 pm

The 50% tax rate is nothing compare to the tax rates we got here in Denmark.
If we earn more then 347.200 Danish Kroner (about 41.237 pounds) a year, then our tax rate for anything over the £41.237 is 59,49% ....
I pay about 49% in tax at the moment my self .. and I only earn about £38.800 a year(260.000 Danish kroner)

Denmark have the 2th highest tax rate in Europe, from what I can see here on the internet its only Belgium who got a higher tax level then DK.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 am

Would you say that this tax rate encourages successful business people to leave and set up shop overseas? I would assume this would happen quite dramatically.
pigsnoutman
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby pigsnoutman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:04 am

What about you, would you relocate as an individual if you earned £150k+? I don't think I would.
We do punish pollution, petrol tax must be huge, 200% ish, since tax triples the cost.
Congratulations, you have found the hidden message I hope you enjoy your sucess http://www.youfail.org the website is great visit www.pointlesssites.com a great time waster
Foo3333
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Foo3333 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:13 am

Styrax wrote:
cliffski wrote:Your proffessor sounds like he is pushing a personal agenda, more than teaching. Maybe is isn't familiar with the economies of scale that large nationalised institutions can achieve over private ones? In particular, ask him about the relative proportion of Us and UK healthcare costs that are spent on bureaucracy, rather than medical care.

That was several years ago. In the classroom it was strictly economics. You couldn't tell where he stood on the issues. I only learned where he stood on the issues years later after hearing him speak. I'm sure if I did ask him about healthcare, he'd say leave it to private enterprise. I'd have to agree. A guy I know who grew up in the UK and Canada said healthcare in those countries is great until you actually have to use it.

What a bunch of crap, I always hear these internet anecdotes and I've never had an issue with the healthcare system, with neither my grandmother nor my own parents. This is the whole reasons studies by professionals and associations of doctors and nurses who use science to study the system are usually the only ones worth listening to. The common man is so far removed from how things actually work day-to-day behind closed doors he has no god-damn motherfucking clue.

I live in canada and when people bag on our healthcare system it's bullshit I swear, most people who complain are stupid, the likes of Jenny McCarthy stupid or are pushing ideological agenda's. Data and science should drive our decisions not ideology.
casee
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby casee » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 pm

I make a little more than 870.000 R a year (£78.000) and I net roughly 550.000 R (£50.000). The tax rate (40% for me) is awful, the government health care is awful and if you plan on actually living past 65, requires supplementary insurance, pensions are weak and barely livable, and I'm more likely to be replaced than my black co-workers, making the pension a much bigger problem. 50% Seems fine for over £150.000 as long as under isn't 50%, I like Australia, how they tax in sectors, like the first £20.000 is this percent, £20.000-£40.000 is another percent and so forth, that seems the most fair to me, instead of just taxing it all at one rate.

Return to “Political Debate”