NGO's collapse

Forum for non-game specific political debate of the issues raised in general by the game. Economics, transport policy, the environment, gun crime etc etc. be nice!
rboni
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

NGO's collapse

Postby rboni » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:30 pm

A poorly reported consequence of the credit crisis is that NGO’s in the United States are facing a wipe out. Apparently 100,000 could disappear in 2 years. This is a serious situation as a lot of them provide welfare services that governments have withdrawn from delivering.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/03/18/nonprofit_collapse/#more
Last edited by rboni on Sat May 09, 2009 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Styrax
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Re: Non-profit collapse

Postby Styrax » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:46 pm

rboni wrote:A poorly reported consequence of the credit crisis is that NGO’s in the United States are facing a wipe out. Apparently 100,000 could disappear in 2 years. This is very serious as a lot them provide welfare services that governments have withdrawn from delivering.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/03/18/nonprofit_collapse/#more

I heard something about this. It's unfortunate, and based on the direction we're going, I don't see how things for non-profits are going to get better, at least for a while.
ohms_law
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby ohms_law » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 am

It's not completely unfortunate, though.
Really, there were (and still are) just too many charities. Fewer, and larger, charities should increase the remainder's efficiency.

The real problem is the amount of donations. I don't have the numbers available, but my understanding is that the total amount of charitable donations has taken a nosedive, which is what's leading to the collapse of NGO's. Charities dropping out of existence isn't really an issue, but the drop in donations is certainly a problem.
You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann
Styrax
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Styrax » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 am

ohms_law wrote:It's not completely unfortunate, though.
Really, there were (and still are) just too many charities. Fewer, and larger, charities should increase the remainder's efficiency.

The real problem is the amount of donations. I don't have the numbers available, but my understanding is that the total amount of charitable donations has taken a nosedive, which is what's leading to the collapse of NGO's. Charities dropping out of existence isn't really an issue, but the drop in donations is certainly a problem.

I have a friend deeply involved in a few charities who said donations are abysmal right now, and that's what I was referring to. If you mean charity by someone giving their own time to help, he said, if anything, those have increased in some of the larger charities.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:30 pm

I suppose it is to be expected. Most people would consider any charitable giving as very low priority when it comes to cutting back on expenditure in tough times.
It's still sad news though.
pigsnoutman
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Re: NGO's collapse

Postby pigsnoutman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 am

Also the welfare charities are being used more. That can't help things.
There are too many charities, and some are rediculous; like laptops for poor teenagers.
Congratulations, you have found the hidden message I hope you enjoy your sucess http://www.youfail.org the website is great visit www.pointlesssites.com a great time waster

Return to “Political Debate”