A new view on house prices and their fall

Forum for non-game specific political debate of the issues raised in general by the game. Economics, transport policy, the environment, gun crime etc etc. be nice!
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

A new view on house prices and their fall

Postby cliffski » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-hous ... rds-2009-2

interesting chart, and I have to agree with the analysis. Thoughts?
sambrookjm
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: A new view on house prices and their fall

Postby sambrookjm » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:06 am

Wow. I knew the bubble was bad, but not THAT bad. I'm so glad my wife and I bought our house in 1999, right when this insanity was starting! I read the longer article that is linked from that chart. A very interesting read to say the least.

I especially enjoyed this quote: "When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."
I think I've had this deja vu before.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:38 am

Yes indeed. I don't think anyone has really put the silliness of the last bubble into perspective, and you can't really do it without a chart. Personally I'm really glad I didn't copy what a lot of my friends did and get into 'buy-to-let' mortgages that are no doubt a disaster now. I've never been comfortable with the idea of lording it over someone as their landlord, so I never did it.
scylfing
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby scylfing » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:14 am

I wonder how state housing policies distort the housing markets?
Liberal+++, Capitalist+++, Environmentalist+, Youth++
pigsnoutman
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby pigsnoutman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:33 am

Beware of the repressed zero! I am always caught out the news's terrifing stock market graphs. AGHH! The FTSE is down to zero!, Oh wait its down from 4400 to 4000.
Congratulations, you have found the hidden message I hope you enjoy your sucess http://www.youfail.org the website is great visit www.pointlesssites.com a great time waster

Return to “Political Debate”