Where do you stand politically?

Forum for non-game specific political debate of the issues raised in general by the game. Economics, transport policy, the environment, gun crime etc etc. be nice!
retina-scan
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby retina-scan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:22 am

Anomie wrote:Apparently Im an anarchocommie.


ha ha ha, and that guy, joe101, is right wing as hell! (or at least the most that I've ever heard someone getting)

my mussolini sense is tingling :lol:
Jde 78439
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Jde 78439 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 pm

Hi, this is my first post on the Positech Games mesage boards. I took the test and was surprised that I wasn't 2 squares towards the socialists. My exact score is: "Economic Left/Right: 0.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85". I have placed myself on a chart containing all the major Australian political parties in the 2007 Australian Federal Election and colour-coded it. Here it is:
ImageImage

UPDATE: I have taken the test again and my new rating is:
Left/Right: -2.62
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Last edited by Jde 78439 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rboni
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 am
Location: Australia, Perth

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby rboni » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:59 pm

header2.jpg
header2.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 6343 times


IDEAlog is designed to stimulate thinking on issues that underlie contemporary views of political ideology. It consists of three components:

An Introduction that defines the program's purpose.

A Tutorial that explains the traditional liberal-conservative labels, introduces a two-dimensional ideological typology, and asks you to classify yourself according to a four-fold ideology typology.

The Self-Test that requires answering twenty questions--drawn from national surveys--which are equally divided between the conflict of individual freedom vs. social order, and the conflict of individual freedom vs. social equality. Based on your responses, you are classified into one of four ideological types. These ideological scores are then compared with the scores for the public's responses to the same twenty questions.

http://www.idealog.org/
User avatar
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby cliffski » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Interesting link, cheers!
User avatar
Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Vazeron1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:46 am

Very very interesting, in the Idealog one i was placed solidly in the liberal section, with 2 order and 8 equality (almost exactly where i put my guess at too), in the politcal compass i got
Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05
Pic
Image

I strongly believe in equality for all, but at the same time i think that the Government should intervene in scenarios where direct intervention is nessecary, especially in economic or equality issues. So, stricter gun and drug control laws, (more on the order scale, im talking about the idealog one now), but at the same time i think that the government shouldnt regulate things such as TV or search results. On the equality side, i believe in gay marraige and abortion, but also think that at least for some question, the answer is not a yes or no one. i, for instance, think that while help is most certainly nessecary in certain circumstances, such as lowering the grade gap, it can create a dependance, and as such, a better remedy is needed.
Carrie
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Carrie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:35 pm

My Scores:

Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.98

I think the main reason I've been put to the liberal side on social issues is because I think gay people should have equal rights, but apart from that I think I'm fairly conservative.
I might be considered liberal in America though because I'm from England and America seems to be a lot more conservative than over here.
User avatar
Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Vazeron1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:23 am

Carrie wrote:My Scores:

Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.98

I think the main reason I've been put to the liberal side on social issues is because I think gay people should have equal rights, but apart from that I think I'm fairly conservative.
I might be considered liberal in America though because I'm from England and America seems to be a lot more conservative than over here.


yeah, i am thinking of going to england soon, but america is suffering from so many political problems... seriously, the pressure from the south and the religous groups is rediculous. It makes me glad, that despite our hopeless leader, that i live in Canada
canadajarod
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:17 am

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby canadajarod » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:34 am

By my political compass I'm an anarcho-communist. I consider myself a social-democrat with an especial liking of the Nordic model.
Attachments
my political compass.png
my political compass.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
User avatar
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby jeffryfisher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:26 am

Based on my understanding of the axes, I belong about halfway between the center of the purple quadrant and the vertical axis.

However, I think the placement of the famous names in the OP is seriously flawed. How does Ralph Nader's crusade against business leave him in the libertarian half of the map? How in the world can uber-libertarian Ron Paul be in the authoritarian half?

Something in either the test or the reporting is seriously broken.
User avatar
Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Vazeron1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:23 am

jeffryfisher wrote:Based on my understanding of the axes, I belong about halfway between the center of the purple quadrant and the vertical axis.

However, I think the placement of the famous names in the OP is seriously flawed. How does Ralph Nader's crusade against business leave him in the libertarian half of the map? How in the world can uber-libertarian Ron Paul be in the authoritarian half?

Something in either the test or the reporting is seriously broken.


Probably because Ron Paul isn't a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.
User avatar
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby jeffryfisher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:07 am

Vazeron1 wrote:Ron Paul isn't a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.

Can you elaborate on that incredible comment?
User avatar
Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Vazeron1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 am

jeffryfisher wrote:
Vazeron1 wrote:Ron Paul isn't a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.

Can you elaborate on that incredible comment?


I've had this post ready on other political forums. It's tempting to take all the information and post it in one gigantic post but it'd a) go over the character limit, and b) take way too long.

So just read the links here.
User avatar
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby jeffryfisher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:49 am

Aha, a bunch of Ron's federalism and free-speech stances twisted into "racism". Basically, because he will let others say unpopular things or would leave many decisions to states, he is branded racist and "authoritarian". How Orwellian. Paul is definitely an enemy of progressives, but not because he would exercise too much power.
User avatar
Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby Vazeron1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 am

jeffryfisher wrote:Aha, a bunch of Ron's federalism and free-speech stances twisted into "racism". Basically, because he will let others say unpopular things or would leave many decisions to states, he is branded racist and "authoritarian". How Orwellian. Paul is definitely an enemy of progressives, but not because he would exercise too much power.


Do tell me how "95% of African American men in D.C. are semi-criminal or entirely criminal" is in any way, shape or form, a stance about "freedom." The freedom to starve and die, perhaps. And before you say that Paul didn't, in fact, write those articles... the evidence disagrees with you:

Ron Paul "approved every line" of the newsletters.
Ron Paul "always got to see the final product... He would proof it"
Paul on L.A. Riots 1992: "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

He also has some nasty ties to white supremacist groups. So that's fun.



But ultimately off topic! This is about his public policy initiatives, no? Regardless, freedom and Ron Paul don't belong anywhere near one another. He doesn't believe in freedom. Freedom from the feds, maybe. The individual states though? Why, that's another matter entirely. Because see, according to Ron Paul, there is no right to privacy.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul120.html

And he would make absolutely certain that no such right was protected:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.958:

But heck, he even thinks that states have the power to regulate sex. I'm not super keen on voting for a man who wants to give state governments a wink and a knowing nod when they deliberately strip me of my rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul#Sodomy_laws wrote:Paul has been a critic of the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision, in which sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment. In an essay posted to the Lew Rockwell website, he stated his opposition to what he called ridiculous sodomy laws, but expressed his fear that federal courts were grossly violating their role of strictly interpreting the Constitution, and felt that they were setting a dangerous precedent of what he characterized as legislating from the bench, by declaring privacy in regards to sexual conduct a constitutional right. Ron Paul said:
Consider the Lawrence case decided by the Supreme Court in June. The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment "right to privacy". Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states' rights – rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards.[147]


But you don't think arresting someone for consensual sex is "authoritarian", eh? What about all the other things Paul's "We the People Act" would allow the states to do? Would it be micromanagement if the government forced you to undergo medical treatment? How about banning birth control? Imposed religion upon you? Hell, he even knowingly and shamelessly voted for passing an unconstitutional bill because he's opposed to abortion rights.

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul98.html
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2003/roll242.xml

Ron Paul would give states the authority to deny liberty that neither the federal nor state government currently has. Ron Paul is an authoritarian, end of.

You want a libertarian? Vote for someone like Gary Johnson. I mean, libertarianism is still a fundamentally repugnant ideology (she says, a diehard centrist), but at least you won't be hypocritical. How can you support someone like Ron Paul or his ilk? He would singlehandedly shred the entirety of the first amendment. Forgive me if I have a bit more respect for the constitution than that.


Fortunately, I don't really care much any more. He's an old man who will never gain political office ever again, and I thank God every day (well, every time I remember to) for that fact. All that remains to be done is to continue combating his vile and objectively harmful beliefs whenever they spring up (inevitably by the Tea Party, but they're a story for another day), wherever they spring up.
Last edited by Vazeron1 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Where do you stand politically?

Postby jeffryfisher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

I can see that we're not going to find common ground on parsing Ron Paul's political philosophy. I measure him by his votes in Congress. There he opposed what I opposed (not that it ever did either of us any good). He was one of only a handful of votes against USA PATRIOT, he wants to dissolve the Fed, and he would dissolve several other agencies for which there's no Constitutional justification. In the "actions speak louder than words" analysis, that still makes him a libertarian in my book.

Maybe his views on states rights are confusing (averring that states have a power doesn't mean favoring a particular policy using it), but I never voted for him to hold state office, so I haven't studied in detail. Maybe my opinion of him would be different if I'd seen him in a state legislature for a couple decades.

And yes, I did vote for Gary Johnson (as well as both Libertarians who ran against GW Bush). I think the last time I voted for a winning presidential candidate was 1988 (Bush Senior), back when I was young and naive enough to read his lips and think he was telling the truth.

Return to “Political Debate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest