Yay! At long last, you can now control an ENTIRE COUNTRY through your finger tips, whilst idly sitting on a sun lounger on the beach! (glare-permitting of course). That’s because the worlds favorite neural-network powered turn based strategy game about politics is now available on the ipad! Check out this incredibly exciting screenshot of the store:

appstore

Here is a list of the locations you can buy the ipad version of the game:

1) The apple app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/democracy-3/id882525717?ls=1&mt=8

That’s it.

I have to admit, I am rather pleased with the way the game translates to a small tablet, it works pretty well. It doesn’t have a sprawling GUI like the PC version does on bigger monitors, but I think that is made up for by the convenience of touch controls and the ‘take-it-anywhere’ nature of the ipad. I hope it will do well. Annoyingly apples sales reports seem to lag by two days so I have no idea if anyone bought it yet.

I’ve priced it at a BARGAIN price of $9.99. This is cheaper than on PC, but then its fixed resolution, no mod support etc, so I suspect it’s reasonable. I really don’t care about anyone on the app store complaining about the price. You can basically fuck off and die in a fire if you think the game is overpriced. That’s the official developer & publisher position BTW. People who think $10 is overpriced for a game should go play angry birds of flappy birds, or similar fare and stop whining :D.

I hope it does well, partly because I like money, but mostly because ever since I bought an ipad, it’s sat and gathered dust, with far too few decent involved strategy games for the platform. If D3 does well, I’ll tell everyone so they can see it as a viable platform for more ‘serious’ strategy gaming. That would be a *good thing*.

Please help me spread the word. I am totally new to iOS gaming, so if you run a HUGE website dedicated to iOS games and haven’t got a review copy, email me at cliff AT positech dot co dot uk.

17 Responses to “Democracy 3 is now on something called an ‘ipad’, whatever that is :D”

1. Paul says:

Does the iPad port include Extremism / Social Engineering content?

2. Ryan says:

There are a bunch of good strategy games on iPad in the 5-20$ range (see places like http://ipadboardgames.org ), so I think you have good company.

My only complaint so far is a lot of the graphics, and text, are rally pixelated. Any chance of upgrading them to be crisp for retina iPads?

Hi, which graphics specifically look bad? I only have an ipad2 for testing…

• Peri says:

I am using an iPad Air (which has retina display unlike the iPad 2), and all of the in-game text is highly pixelated to the point of being annoying. My understanding is ttyat here is an API that pushes all text to retina resolution. Not sure why the developer didn’t set that, since it is the standard. Likely this, more than anything else, will result in criticism of the game. I think a lot of people will simply not be able to get past it.

Also, I noticed when starting a new game that when I tried changing my Party name that the drop down list of suggested names cuts off at the bottom, and there doesn’t seem to be (an obvious) means to scroll further down the list. This, unfortunately, gives it the appearance of a direct PC port without due consideration and implementation of some fairly obvious touch screen adjustments.

Hopefully, your developer can make these fairly minor changes, which should result in a major improvement to the game.

• Ryan says:

The text and the status bars are the most glaring, though most of the graphics show some signs of visible pixels. There are also a few cases where the text seems to push past it’s defined area and intrude on another UI element (money at the top, with certain values), and the labels on icons when you tab on one).

Hopefully these are easy things to fix: I hope the game does well.

4. Diogo Costa says:

Does the iPad port include Extremism / Social Engineering content?

5. Pent says:

Grats on the launch Cliff! I was actually holding off from buying it until now. I’m glad to see simulation games coming to the iPad.

6. Mindy says:

For what it’s worth, I have an iPad Air (w/ Retina) and am holding off on purchasing until I see if Retina is supported (at least for the text) as I’m worried the pixelation would be too annoying

7. John says:

I was thinking the price was a bit much, but then I looked at the in-app purchases for rollercoaster tycoon 4, and your price looked a bit more reasonable. (£7 for a game vs. £0.69 for a broken game).

8. You should try reaching out to toucharcade, this game seems right up their alley.

9. David says:

As asked above and as I asked previously, does it include the addons?
    Definitely will buy… But may wait until retina is supported as that is a pretty huge omission (when the last 3 iPads have all been retina).

Me and the developer are currently working on doubling the text resolution for the retina display. That should make a big difference. I don’t personally have a retina ipad.
    I have no plans yet for the add-ons, tbh.

• David says:

I would REALLY REALLY like the Add ons to be included… Seems like I’m getting less of an experience compared to playing it on my PC…

Don’t know a HUGE amount about these but when I bought the Add ons from your site for PC it seemed they were just databases (very small files) adding more lines of text or just more options… Would it be that difficult? Would gladly pay for them in in-app purchases similar to the ‘Baldurs Gate 2′ model.

Just bought it and gave you a good 5-star review on the App Store. (I’m very passionate about decent games getting support on the App Store)

• Diogo Costa says:

What about Social Engineering and Extremism for the iPad

11. Peri says:

Second adding in the add-ons as IAPs. Great idea!