I am currently wading through my list of stuff to do before GTB ships. The list is huge, but not colossal, and I’m now measuring time to beta + pre-orders in weeks not months. Some of the stuff still to do:
- Auto-updating functionality (hopefully better than GSB’s), both version-checking, and also downloading of updates and installing.
- Checking mod support works as expected. (not started yet, but likely to be similar to GSB’s installs system.
- Checking the game runs and is functional on a range of different screen resolutions.
- Putting together the scripted AI attacks for each mission
- Finish off the metrics stuff which helps me detect and gameplay imbalance or difficulty spikes.
- Finalising what is unlocked and what is locked at the game start, and checking the unlock system works as expected.
- Gameplay testing for obvious exploits and weaknesses, such as overpowered units or silly tactics that somehow work.
- Getting the final manual text done
- Getting the final sound effects & sound balance done.
- beta-release launch trailer, press release and screenshots
- Website improvements ready for taking orders.
What will happen post-beta:
- Fixes to any crash bugs
- Implementation of any awesome must-have ideas from beta feedback
- Some further optimisations for performance
- balancing of units and maps based on feedback
- release-video and promotional stuff.
The stuff that will take time will be the gameplay testing, auto-updating and metrics stuff. I can’t see a February release, but maybe early march? That’s only beta, so hopefully a full release not long after that. Eventually, I will need a BIG holiday…