GSB is a big success and sells well, and I love it. it’s my fave game, out of all the games I’ve made, but it still has problems, because I made some fundamental screwups, technical and otherwise. here is what I think I did wrong in no particular order
- It doesn’t support netbook resolutions
- There are a fixed number of ship sizes
- The battles are not deterministic, preventing replays
- There are no achievements
- The tutorial is weak, and the learning curve too steep
- The auto-update system is dumb regarding where the game is installed.
- The online integration doesn’t include many features, like friends lists and user profiles, clan tags etc
- It makes poor use of multi-core CPUs.
- The player cannot customise the physical appearance of their units very much
- Mod support is not quite as easy to use as it could be
- The unit design tools (ship editor) used during development was laughably poor
- The UI was not as gratuitous as it could have been, given the subject matter
Have I missed anything? Obviously if I ever did a similar game, I’d be keen to fix all of those issues.